Monday, March 30, 2009

Troy's in town, bad audition.


We've got small events, medium events, and big events in our lives.  It seems sometimes that the small events carry more weight because no matter which event passes, they all take about as much time, time passes just as quickly past them, and if it's an "event" often it will effect our person fairly equally.  The size of the event is almost solely weighted on how big we make it before going in.  
I had a medium event on Saturday, but my medium event was only based on the way it turned out and not on how I viewed it going in.  I auditioned for Baby Wants Candy (www.babywantscandy.com) on Saturday.  Now I knew some about BWC going in, I knew it was musical, I knew they were great, but what I didn't expect was how much I was going to suck at my audition.  Ok, before you can do the "oh but Lisa, I'm sure you did great and you're just your harshest critic", I will say for my ego's sake that the last two years of auditioning have been really good to me.  I'm not terrible at auditioning, I go in with a lot of energy and I've landed auditions even when I'm having a rough day.  This audition, however, was terrible.  We were supposed to come up with a rhyming couplet about a celebrity and instead of coming up with something socially/news/or general knowledge about Brad Pitt relevant, I came up with "oh brad pitt you're so dreamy, have some pie, here's some whip creamy".  Yeah.  
Ok, then I tried improvising.  I couldn't think of anything besides transaction scenes with the inspiration Walt Disney.  Why?  I simply don't know.
For my grand finale I had a scene where I loved my sister who co-owned what I lovingly named a "Fireshop".  We were firefighters and I sang about how much I loved her.  I sang, I spewed, I didn't rhyme but I sold the hell out of it.  
The audition was not very good, I had a lot of fun, didn't expect to get a callback and I didn't get one.  The bright side, however IS that, like I said, this was the first bad audition that I've had in a loooong time.  That is good.  I now know that I'd love to do more musical improv.  The end.

Hope you have a great day!!!!!

Lisa B.

3 comments:

Improvised For Life said...

This is my comment: Lisa Burton still rocks all socks off to at least an (n-1)/n degree

Improvised For Life said...

make that (n+1)/n

Jake Scott said...

OK, I'm a retard. I thought you and Troy were actually on a roller coaster when I looked at the picture. It took minute for me to realize it's just photo booth.